On a recent warm Spring afternoon, dozens of residents from Menlo Park and surrounding communities came together in Menlo Park to hear tenants share their lived experiences. Retaliatory evictions, landlord neglect of necessary repairs, hidden fees, and extreme rent increases are some of the experiences that inspired panelists to join the movement for housing justice and fight for solutions such as robust Just Cause for Eviction, Rent Control, and programs to support Tenants to know their rights and enforce them. This bilingual Spanish-English event also provided the opportunity to learn about local organizations that support tenants’ rights as well as various initiatives promoting housing justice for tenants.
- SB 567 – The CA Homelessness Prevention Act – Help get this bill through the legislature and onto the Governor’s desk! Contact Jess Hudson email@example.com to be informed of next steps.
- Join the FIGHT:
- Sign the YUCA petition in support of the “Opportunity to Purchase Act” (OPA) here.
- Sign Faith in Action Bay Area’s Redwood City Housing Platform Petition here.
- Sign the Menlo Together Petition to support City Action on Tenants Rights, here.
- Sign the Housing Leadership Council petition to support Tenant Rights and Affordable Homes in unincorporated San Mateo County here.
Connect and Learn
The Tenants Belong event was a collaborative effort by Youth United for Community Action (YUCA), Faith in Action, Housing Leadership Council, and Menlo Together. We hope you will follow the work of Menlo Together and our partners, continue learning, and take actions to build a community where tenants can thrive.
- Engage with YUCA by following their activities on Facebook and Instagram
- Follow Faith in Action here. Reach out for a conversation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 203-666-4472.
- Engage with Menlo Together by subscribing to our newsletter, attending our events, and joining one of our working groups. Reach out for a conversation by emailing email@example.com
- Join Housing Leadership Council or subscribe to the HLC newsletter. Reach out for a conversation by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For information and resources related to renting in Menlo Park, East Palo Alto and Redwood City, visit our Tenants Rights and Resources Page.